The D60 is a high-performance DX format digital SLR with a 10.2 megapixel resolution. Easy to use and easy to handle, it is the perfect way to explore the magic of digital SLR photography. Everyday situations can be trusted to the camera in AUTO mode, or you can try one of its many options for more creative control. In-camera creative features are easily accessible via an intuitive menu. Convenience is highlighted by a rotating information display that follows the orientation of the camera, a self-cleaning internal mechanism, and a sensor located in the viewfinder that turns off the monitor. With a near-instant start-up time and a small, light body, this camera is ready to go with you anywhere. The D60 - stunning photography is just a step away.
10.2 megapixel DX format image sensor for exceptionally vivid and detailed high-resolution images that are ideal for enlargements.
EXPEED image processing concept for optimum performance and maximum image quality.
Innovative dust reduction system: Image Sensor Cleaning and Airflow Control Systems keep dust away from the camera’s image sensors for clear, spot-free images.
ISO 100 – 1600 ISO broad sensitivity range enables faster shutter speeds, significantly reducing the risk of blurred images when you shoot fast-moving subjects or take pictures in low light.
Small, Light and Comfortable: only 495g with intuitive controls and a comfortable grip.
Large, bright 2.5-inch LCD monitor makes it easy to check essential camera information, and a pleasure to review and edit your shots.
Quick response: a near-instant 0.19s start-up time and minimal shutter release time lag enable you to shoot on impulse.
3 fps continuous shooting lets you take up to 100 JPEG images (FINE, L-size or smaller) at approx. 3 frames per second and capture fast-moving action.
Bright, clear viewfinder with 0.8x magnification for precise composition.
Eye-Sensor automatically turns off the information display in the LCD monitor when you look through the viewfinder, saving power and ensuring less distraction when you shoot.
Razor-sharp 3-area Autofocus lets you focus quickly and accurately no matter where you are, even after sundown.
Active D-Lighting retains details in highlights and shadows for stunning images with natural contrast.
Selectable information display formats: choose from a range of display formats including, Graphic format that uses visual icons for information and Wallpaper that uses one of your own images as the background.
Vertical LCD information display: when shooting, the information display rotates automatically, to follow the orientation of the camera. Camera information is displayed correctly when taking pictures in both landscape and portrait formats.
8 Digital Vari-Programs automatically optimize the camera settings to produce superb results in any condition.
Extensive Retouch Menu with 10 amazing photo effects to choose from, including NEF (RAW) processing and Stop-motion. The original image stays intact and the D60 quickly and simply creates a duplicate image for you to edit and enhance in the camera.
In-Camera NEF (RAW) processing: enjoy creative freedom and control over camera settings after you shoot. Adjust Image quality, Image size, White balance and even exposure compensation via the easy-to-navigate menu.
Stop-motion creates animated movies from a series of consecutive pictures. Simply select the first and last frames from the sequence and save it as a short movie to be played on the camera’s LCD screen or a computer (AVI format).
Nikon 3D Color Matrix Metering II produces ideal exposures in almost any lighting condition.
Compatible with world famous, high-quality NIKKOR lenses and optimized for use with AF-S and AF-I NIKKOR lenses.
Rechargeable Li-ion Battery: take 500 shots or more in single-frame shooting mode with just one charge (according to CIPA standards, with built-in flash used for 50% of the shots).
Single-lens reflex digital camera
Nikon F mount (with AF contacts)
Effective picture angle
Approx. 1.5 x lens focal length (Nikon DX format)
23.6 x 15.8 mm CCD sensor
Dust Reduction System
Image Sensor Cleaning System, Airflow Control System, Image Dust Off reference data (optional Capture NX software required)
Image size (pixels)
3,872 x 2,592 [L], 2,896 x 1,944 [M], 1,936 x 1,296 [S]
• NEF (RAW): 12-bit compressed • JPEG: JPEG-Baseline compliant with fine (approx. 1:4), normal (approx. 1:8), or basic (approx. 1:16) compression • NEF (RAW)+JPEG: Single photograph recorded in both NEF (RAW) and JPEG formats
SD memory cards, SDHC compliant
DCF (Design Rule for Camera File System) 2.0, DPOF (Digital Print Order Format), Exif 2.21 (Exchangeable Image File Format for Digital Still Cameras), PictBridge
Up to 36 characters of alphanumeric text input available
Date, Date and time, Date Counter, or none (selectable)
Eye-level penta-Dach mirror single-lens reflex viewfinder
Approx. 95 % horizontal and 95 % vertical
Approx. 0.8 x (50 mm f/1.4 lens at infinity; -1.0 m-1)
18 mm (-1.0 m-1)
-1.7 to +0.5 m-1
Type B BriteView Clear Matte screen Mark V
Instant-return, electronically controlled
• AF-S and AF-I NIKKOR: All functions supported • Type G or D AF NIKKOR not equipped with an autofocus motor: All functions supported except autofocus. • Non-Type G or D AF NIKKOR not equipped with an autofocus motor: All functions supported except 3D color matrix metering II and autofocus. • IX-NIKKOR and AF-NIKKOR for F3AF: Not supported. • Type D PC NIKKOR: All functions supported except some shooting modes. • AI-P NIKKOR: All functions supported except 3D color matrix metering II • Non-CPU: Autofocus not supported. Can be used in exposure mode M, but exposure meter does not function. • Lens with maximum aperture of f/5.6 or faster: Electronic rangefinder can be used.
Electronically-controlled vertical-travel focal-plane shutter
1/4,000 to 30 s in steps of 1/3 EV; Bulb, Time (optional Wireless Remote Control ML-L3 required)
Flash sync speed
X=1/200 s; synchronizes with shutter at 1/200 s or slower
Single frame, Continuous, Self-timer, Remote control (optional Wireless Remote Control ML-L3 required)
Frame advance rate
Up to 3 fps (by selecting manual focus mode, rotating the mode dial to S or M selecting a shutter speed of 1/250 s or faster, and using defaults for all other settings).
Can be selected from 2, 5, 10 and 20 s duration
TTL exposure metering using 420-segment RGB sensor
• Matrix: 3D color matrix metering II (type G and D lenses); color matrix metering II (other CPU lenses) • Center-weighted: Weight of 75% given to 8-mm circle in center of frame • Spot: Meters 3.5-mm circle (about 2.5 % of frame) centered on selected focus point (on center focus point when non-CPU lens is used)
Range (ISO 100, f/1.4 lens, 20°C/68°F)
• Matrix or center-weighted metering: 0 - 20 EV • Spot metering: 2 - 20 EV
Exposure meter coupling
Digital Vari-program (Auto, Auto [flash off], Portrait, Landscape, Child, Sports, Close up, Night portrait), Programmed auto (P) with flexible program, Shutter-priority auto (S), Aperture-priority auto (A), Manual (M)
-5 to +5 EV in increments of 1/3 EV
Luminosity locked at detected value with AE-L/AF-L button
ISO sensitivity (Recommended Exposure Index)
ISO 100 - 1,600 in steps of 1 EV. Can also be set to approx. 1 EV (ISO 3200 equivalent) above ISO 1600
Can be selected from on (auto) or off
Nikon Multi-CAM 530 autofocus sensor module with TTL phase detection, 3 focus points and AF-assist illuminator (range approx. 0.5-3 m/1 ft. 8 in.-9 ft. 10 in.)
-1 to +19 EV (ISO 100, 20°C/68°F)
• Autofocus: Single-servo AF (S), Continuous-servo AF (C), Auto-servo AF (A), Predictive focus tracking automatically activated according to subject status in single- and continuous-servo AF • Manual focus: Electronic rangefinder can be used
Selectable from three focus points
Single-point AF, dynamic-area AF, Closest subject AF
Focus can be locked by pressing shutter-release button halfway (single-servo AF) or by pressing AE-L/AF-L button
• Guide number of 12/39 (m/ft, ISO 100, 20°C/68°F) or 13/43 in manual mode (m/ft, ISO 100, 20°C/68°F) • Auto, Portrait, Child, Close up, Night portrait modes : Auto flash with auto pop-up • P, S, A, M : manual pop-up with button release
• TTL for digital SLR using 420-segment RGB sensor i-TTL balanced fill-flash (with metering other than spot) and standard i-TTL flash (with spot metering) are available with built-in flash, SB-800, SB-600, or SB-400, and CPU lenses. • Auto aperture: Available with SB-800 and CPU lenses. • Non-TTL auto: Supported flash units include SB-800, SB-28, SB-27, SB-22S, SB-80DX, and SB-28DX • Range-priority manual: Available with SB-800
Front curtain sync, slow sync, rear-curtain sync, red-eye reduction, red-eye reduction with slow sync.
-3 to +1 EV in increments of 1/3 EV
Lights when built-in flash or Speedlight such as SB-800, SB-600, SB-400 is fully charged, blinks after flash is fired at full output
Standard ISO 518 hot-shoe contact with safety lock
Nikon Creative Lighting System (CLS)
• Flash Color Information Communication supported with built-in flash and CLS-compatible Speedlight • Advanced Wireless Lighting supported with SB-800, or SU-800 as commander
Hot Shoe Sync Terminal Adapter AS-15 (Optional)
8 modes (when Auto is selected, TTL white-balance with main image sensor and 420-segment RGB sensor is available) fine-tuning possible
2.5-in., approx. 230k-dot, low-temperature polysilicon TFT LCD, brightness adjustment and with automatic defeat via Eye Sensor
Full frame and thumbnail (four or nine images) playback with playback zoom, stop-motion movies created with the D60, slide show, histogram display, highlights, and auto image rotation
Hi-Speed USB: Data transfer protocol: MTP, PTP
Can be selected from NTSC and PAL
Chinese (Simplified and Traditional), Dutch, English, Finnish, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Swedish
One Rechargeable Li-ion Battery EN-EL9
AC Adapter EH-5a (used with Power Connector EP-5, available separately)
1/4 in. (ISO 1222)
Dimensions (W x H x D)
Approx. 126 x 94 x 64 mm (5.0 x 3.7 x 2.5 in.)
Approx. 495 g (1 lb. 1 oz.) without battery, memory card or body cap
Less than 85% (non condensing)
Supplied accessories (may differ by country or area)
Rechargeable Li-ion Battery EN-EL9, Quick Charger MH-23, USB Cable UC-E4, Rubber Eyecup DK-20, Camera Strap AN-DC1, Body Cap BF-1A, Eyepiece Cap DK-5, Accessory Shoe Cover BS-1, Software Suite CD-ROM
Wireless Remote Control ML-L3, Capture NX, Camera Control Pro 2, AC Adcapter Connector EP-5, AC Adapter EH-5a, Video Cable EG-D100, Semi-Soft Case CF-DC1, Speedlight SB-800, SB-600, SB-400, R1C1