Nikon, CIWEM, WaterBear and ARUP Announce Judging Panel for Environmental Photographer of the Year 2022
Amsterdam, The Netherlands, 11ᵗʰ August 2022: Nikon, alongside environmental and water management charity CIWEM, WaterBear, the free streaming platform dedicated to the future of our planet, and sustainable development professional services firm ARUP, is pleased to announce the judging panel for this year’s Environmental Photographer Of The Year 2022 competition. The panel includes an impressive line-up of experts in the fields of photography, climate justice, and environmental activism.
The jury was carefully handpicked to ensure a diverse panel of award winning judges, who will work together to review submissions and select the winning images. These include; Swiss conservation photographer Daisy Gilardini; Israeli wildlife photographer and activist Roie Galitz; Egyptian documentary photographer and visual storyteller Rehab Eldalil; Brazilian photojournalist Victor Moriyama, and Kenyan photo editor Wacera Njagi.
The Environmental Photographer Of The Year 2022 is now in its 15th year and showcases some of the world’s most inspirational environmental photography. The annual competition provides an international platform to raise awareness for the environmental issues that put our planet at risk.
Introducing this year’s panel of award-winning judges:
● Daisy Gilardini, Photographer: Daisy is a conservation photographer who specialises in the Polar Regions, with a particular emphasis on Antarctic wildlife and North American bears. Daisy’s images have been published internationally in leading magazines such as National Geographic, BBC Wildlife, Canadian Geographic, Nature’s Best and Outdoor Photography, among many others. Her images have also been used by high-profile NGOs such as Greenpeace and the World Wildlife Fund, among others. Since 2018, she has been a photographer in residence with Canadian Geographic and has been nominated Greenpeace Antarctic Ambassador and is a Nikon Europe Ambassador.
● Roie Galitz, Photographer: Roie is a world-renowned wildlife photographer, environmental diplomat, entrepreneur and public speaker. Roie’s passion is in the great outdoors, photographing endangered wildlife and habitats, but that has also made him more aware of nature's distress as human activity increases its influence. Roie has become a Nikon Europe Ambassador and Greenpeace Ambassador, spoken at three TED talks and is a keynote speaker in many events worldwide. As an entrepreneur, Roie has founded several companies with the love for photography, creation and our amazing world at heart, including a photography school with over 30,000 graduates and a photo travel company with dozens of expeditions each year.
● Rehab Eldalil, Photographer: Rehab is an award-winning documentary photographer and visual storyteller based in Cairo. Her work focuses on the broad theme of identity explored through participatory creative practices. Her long-term project The Longing Of The Stranger Whose Path Has Been Broken was shortlisted for PHmuseum Women Grant 2021, 6Mois Photojournalism award 2021, Philip Jones awards 2021, Marilyn Stafford award 2021 and Catchlight fellowship 2020. Most recently, Rehab was awarded the FotoEvidence W Award 2022 to publish her project in a book form, the World Press Photo Regional Award 2022 and the Premi Mediterrani Albert Camus 2022.
● Victor Moriyama, Photojournalist: Victor is a Brazilian photojournalist based in São Paulo, covering South America and the Amazon rainforest. His works document the processes of violence that prevail in social and environmental relations in Brazil. Returning themes include agrarian conflicts, deforestation and conservation of tropical forests and their biodiversity, genocide of indigenous populations, and the acceleration of climate change. Concerned about the scarcity of in-depth reports on conflicts in the Amazon, in 2019 Victor created the project @historiasamazonicas, a community of Latin American photographers committed to documenting contemporary processes taking place in the Amazon and defining the present. His idea is to expand world knowledge and engage global society with problems within the largest tropical forest in the world. Victor is a regular contributor to The New York Times, covering the Amazon and Latin America.
● Wacera Njagi, Photo Editor: Based in Nairobi, Wacera is a photo editor at Everyday Africa. Their work blends hands-on design for photo, art direction and media project management, utilizing varied communication mediums, design disciplines and research techniques. Wacera has collaborated with storytelling teams at World Press Photo Foundation, Black Women Photographers, Code For Africa, The ICRC and others. Through their role at Everyday Africa, Wacera strives to make stories that convey a more accurate view of daily African life than what is commonly seen in the media.
The Environmental Photographer Of The Year 2022 competition is currently open for submissions from both professional and amateur photographers and is free to enter for all ages. Participants will be competing for cash awards and prizes across six categories, including for the top award of The Environmental Photographer Of The Year 2022. Categories include Environmental Photographer Of The Year, Young Environmental Photographer Of The Year, Vision of the Future, Recovering Nature, Keeping 1.5 Alive, and Adapting for Tomorrow. More information on this year’s categories can be found at www.epoty.org/categories-prizes/.
This year has also seen the addition of an ethics panel which aims to improve accountability and transparency in photo selection. The panel, consisting of ethics experts in the fields of journalism and photography, provided feedback and guidance on this year’s competition rules to support participating photographers with questions of consent, permits, and ethical representation of people and wildlife. More information about the panel, who will assist with photo review during the 2022 selection process, can be found at www.epoty.org/ethics-panel/.
To learn more, enter, and for full details on The Environmental Photographer Of The Year competition rules and prizes visit www.epoty.org. Entries close on 31 August 2022 and winners will be announced in late November.
About Nikon Europe
Nikon is a world-leading provider of imaging products and services. Its innovative optics technology - from consumer and professional cameras to lenses, system accessories, and sport and recreational optics - is powered by over 100 years of experience. The brand is globally recognised for setting new standards in design and performance, with Nikon’s revolutionary Z series mirrorless cameras and NIKKOR Z lenses representing a new dimension of optical performance. Nikon is committed to leading imaging culture and enables some of the world’s best visual artists to reach their creative potential through visual storytelling. For more information about Nikon’s award-winning products please visit www.europe-nikon.com.
The Chartered Institution of Water and Environmental Management (CIWEM) is a Royal Chartered independent professional body and a registered charity in the United Kingdom working internationally to advance the practice of water and environmental management. CIWEM represents a community of 30,000 professionals with a shared vision for a safe and sustainable world. For more information, visit www.ciwem.org.
WaterBear is a ground-breaking streaming platform showcasing award-winning documentaries as well as original content - spanning biodiversity, community, climate action and sustainable fashion. WaterBear members can stream video at any time, and on any device, all for free, as well as take direct instant action to support NGOs around the world and shape a better future for our fragile planet. For more information about WaterBear and to sign up, please visit: www.waterbear.com.
Dedicated to sustainable development, Arup is a collective of advisors and experts working across 140 countries. Founded to be both humane and excellent, we collaborate with our clients and partners using imagination, technology and rigour to shape a better world. For more information visit www.arup.com.
- NIKON AND PARTNERS ANNOUNCE WINNERS OF THE 2022 ENVIRONMENTAL PHOTOGRAPHER OF THE YEAR COMPETITION
- NIKON RELEASES VER.1.3.0 OF THE NX FIELD REMOTE SHOOTING SYSTEM
- NIKON REVISITS ICONIC CAMERA AND LENS WITH EXPANDING MIRRORLESS COLLECTION
- NIKON RELEASES THE REMOTE GRIP MC-N10 FOR VIDEOGRAPHERS
- THE NIKKOR Z 600mm f/4 TC VR S PROFESSIONAL SUPER-TELEPHOTO LENS
- NIKON RELEASES FIRMWARE VERSION 3.00 FOR THE NIKON Z 9 FULL-FRAME MIRRORLESS CAMERA
- NIKON ANNOUNCES ENTRY DATE FOR THE 39TH ANNUAL NIKON PHOTO CONTEST
- NIKON TO EXHIBIT NEW Z 9 TECHNOLOGY AT ADOBE MAX 2022 CONFERENCE
- JOURNEY WIDE WITH THE NEW NIKKOR Z 17-28MM f/2.8
- NIKON IMPRESSES WITH FOUR EISA AWARD WINS